Fancy Nancy is in the house - watch out world!















In the past few months, I have been lucky enough to have several special women come into my life. While I am so sad that we have had to be diagnosed with breast cancer in order to meet, I feel truly blessed to have them in my life, and know that we will always be friends. One of these people is Brooke. She was a sorority sister of one of my good friends, and when I told this friend my news, she said "Amy, you have to talk to Brooke - she is awesome, you will love her, and she is going through what you're going through right now!" When Brooke and I connected, I felt like I had known her for years the first time we talked. I have talked about in previous posts how I had to be "led into" each stage of treatment in doses, rather than be hit with everything at the same time, so as not to break down into pieces. In talking with Brooke, in her sweet southern accent, she mentioned "oh sweetie, I don't mean to scare you, but I don't think you can be Estrogen negative and avoid chemo." And such was my introduction to losing my hair. Seconds after that bomb, Brooke said "but don't worry, there are great wigs!" and proceeded to e-mail me the picture of her incredible wig (see pic above right). "People don't even know - I get compliments all the time!" she proclaimed! From that moment on, I knew I HAD to find a wig that would make me feel like Brooke felt - self-confident and HAPPY. So, a week later, chemo diagnosis in hand, I went to Hana Designs, a wig shop I had never known about, just 10 minutes from my house, and picked out the sweetest wig I could find. Strawberry blonde, lots of layers, most of the way down my back, since I could never in a million years grow my own hair that long. I brought Brian and several of my girlfriends in to assess the wig, and everyone said "yeah, that looks incredible, Ame!" The day after my head shaving party, one of my best girlfriends and I went to Hana to have the wig fitted and cut, and then headed to the bar to "break in" my new accessory (see pic above left). Dubbing her "Fancy Nancy" we toasted to good times and kicking cancer's ass in style. Fast forward a week later - I was approached by a total stranger, who could not get over my hair, going on and on about how gorgeous and shiny it was. I resisted the urge to spill the beans about my little secret, preferring instead to later tell all my friends how hysterical it was that a stranger complimented my fake hair - in my entire life, I have not received one compliment on my real hair, yet here I was, 4 days into wearing my wig, and I was getting compliments on my fake hair! So without further ado, let me introduce the world to "Fancy Nancy" - my new BFF. Now, while "Fancy Nancy" is definitely called for on some occasions, there are times that call for a slightly less "fancy" do - enter "Jillian". Originally dubbed for her exercise functionality, she is to be worn under hats only, but I have decided that she is too fine of quality to be sweated on. So Jillian (a straight, slightly shorter, yet still gorgeous wig) will be worn with hats for everyday running the kids around, and "Bob," a curly, inexpensive wig, will be accompanying me when it's time to work out. As I have learned from my good friend Brooke (who has her "fancy hair, pool hair and exercise hair") it is very important to have different wigs for different facets of life. I'm grateful to Brooke for helping me get to the point where I am comfortable with losing my hair, knowing that I can still look good, be confident, and even astound strangers with how incredible my hair is. Like Brooke, I have never once cried over losing my hair, but instead embraced the fun I can have with wigs and feeling confident about myself during a process which can be very trying on self-esteem. I am glad to have Fancy Nancy, Jillian and Bob in my life to help me feel less like a cancer patient and more like a glamour girl.

Cheers to Brooke - an amazing mom, a beautiful and strong woman, an inspirational friend who always has time to talk and the right words for me to hear. I love you, Brooke, and am honored to call you my friend. And cheers to sweet, low maintenence hair!!

Amy

1 comments:

goSonja said...

OMG, that hair is HOT!! I want one! I'm starting to feel like I'm in the military.

Post a Comment