I'm alive!!

Hooray! I'm happy to say that I have survived another round of chemo! Only 4 more to go! And I'm even happier that this round was at least 100 times "easier" - although anyone who has been through chemo knows that "easy" is code word for the worst weeks of your life. By easier I mean that this round was livable - certainly not a walk in the park, but compared to last time, it really couldn't have gotten worse. This time I thankfully did not have the shaking vision and/or absolutely excrutiating pain. I could actually make it through the days with just non-stop Aleve, extra strength Tylenol, lots of heating pads and the mental knowledge that however bad it got, it would be over in a few days. This time, I wasn't in so much pain that I couldn't function; I could actually watch TV (FOOTBALL!!!) and get away from the pain instead of focusing in on it coursing through my body. Whether it was the extra IV fluids my dr. had me take (probably not), taking more Claritin to help with the back, neck and my favorite, the mastectomy pain (debatable - something about the histamine reaction?) or just staying on top of the OTC meds (this combined with having higher hemoglobin levels and overall blood volume is what I'm guessing made the difference), I didn't even have to think about filling the Percocet prescription my dr. finally gave me!! Huge thanks to my parents and my in-laws, who watched the kids this weekend and into the week so that I could focus on my physical and mental recovery, and as always, to my incredible husband for helping pull me through another round. And to you all, for your wonderful thoughts, prayers, texts, e-mails, food, etc. - I really couldn't do this without you all - apparently it takes a village to kick cancer's ass! I know how lucky I am to have this phenomenal support; I love you all so much!

So now I get to enjoy two more weeks of "happy Amy" before "chemo Amy" rears her ugly head again on Nov 5. But troop on I must, so I will.

When I learned I would be losing my hair due to chemo, my biggest fear was how Drew (4 years old) would handle having a mommy with no hair. As I've stated in a previous post, I knew I would probably wear wigs in "public" but thought I would probably go wig-less at home, for comfort reasons. I've been surprised and elated to see his reaction - or lack thereof! I have to share a hilarious story about the innocence of kids, and how not a big deal it is to them. Drew and his best buddy, a girl we'll call A, (who has gorgeous, long hair that she is growing out to give to Locks of Love!) were sitting in the back of A's mom's car, on their way to A's house for a playdate. Drew started talking about how much he liked his hair being so short, and said "A, it's so funny - my daddy shaved his head, I shaved my head, and my mommy shaved her head, and Ty has no hair, so now we all don't have hair!" She giggled, agreed that it was cool, and said "your mommy has such beautiful hair! (referring to Fancy Nancy)". Drew said "yeah, it's super cool - she can put it on and then she has hair, and when she takes it off, she doesn't!" They both giggled again, then started talking about something else. It warms my heart to know that Drew loves his mommy, hair or no hair, no matter what. It doesn't freak him out that sometimes I have hair and sometimes I don't - he knows that as long as I'm there for him to shower him with love, support and kisses, it doesn't really matter. And for me, when I'm laying in bed with him at bedtime, just knowing that all I have to be is the best mommy I can be, hair or no hair, he'll love me regardless, is the best gift in the world. Drewman, you rock...

Before I sign off, a quick shout out to my girl Brooke, my inspiration and friend, who completed her BC treatment this morning!! You are a true rock star, my friend, I love you and am so happy to have you to lead me through this crazy journey. Here's to you, and me following in your footsteps!! And here's to everyone who has kicked the crap out this disease with their love, strength and courage - a journey few would choose, but those who are chosen are stronger and happier in the end...

Amy

2 comments:

gayle said...

so glad you are back to happy Amy. Enjoy working out !!! Gayle

brenda said...

I'm so glad it went 'better' this time! I love the Drew story...you are raising a precious boy!

Brenda

Post a Comment